I’m a bit of a queso fanatic, and this Queso with Chorizo recipe is one of my all-time favorite dips. I just love a good creamy, cheesy queso, especially if it has a bit of a kick to it! And man, oh man, does this fit the queso bill!
I grew up eating the classic Velveeta and Ro-tel dip…I mean I ate it constantly. Although, back in the day, when I was very young, my mom had to make it in a double-boiler, which was a bit of a pain. And then came along one of mankind’s greatest inventions: the microwave! It made melting the velvety Velveeta so easy.
Well, this Queso with Chorizo still holds onto some of that traditional dip that I grew up on, but it’s a little more grown up. We just love the simple ingredients that make this queso sing with beautiful flavor!
The flavors meld together beautifully, and it’s perfect for a party or a kick-off to a fun taco dinner! It’s easy, and super delicious!
Just watch how easy it is to make this amazing queso with chorizo recipe!! (I’ve updated the recipe a bit since we filmed this video. I’m always tweaking over time, and think it’s now perfected)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. fresh chorizo sausage*, casings removed, roughly crumbled
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 8 oz. Velveeta, cubed
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. can of green chilies**, chopped
- 2 chipotle chilies from a can in Adobo sauce**, chopped, plus 2 tablespoon of the adobo sauce
- 1½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Ancho chili powder** (or regular chili powder)
- 1 tomato, chopped, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Warm corn tortilla chips
- *Available in the meat section of most super markets, or Mexican markets (don't use smoked chorizo)
- **Available in the Mexican section of most super markets, or Mexican markets
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and then cook the sausage until browned and crisp. Drain and reserve the sausage.
- In the same skillet, add the cream and heat over medium heat.
- Add the Velveeta and stir until melted, about 4 minutes.
- Add the cheddar and Jack cheeses, stir until melted and smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add the green chilies, chipotle chilies, adobo sauce (from the can of chipotles), salt, chili powder and stir to fully incorporate.
- Stir in about half of the cooked chorizo.
- Add the remaining chorizo and tomato and cilantro on top, as garnish.
- Serve with warmed tortilla chips.