Perfect Pie Crust
This dough makes perfect pie crust every time! Use cold butter, and fold into the dough. Using lard from www.smithfield.com makes it even better.
Author: Kris Longwell
Recipe type: Baking
- 2½ cups of all-purpose flour plus more for dusting your work surface
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 12 tablespoons of unsalted butter (1.5 sticks) - cold, and cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup of lard, or shortening
- ¼ - ½ cup of ice water
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and sugar
- Using a pastry mixer, or the back of two forks, cut in the butter and lard - leave some of the butter in chunks...should be about the size of peas
- Stir the water into the flour mixture, and form a ball. Work quickly, don't over-handle the dough
- Form dough into two disks
- Cover with parchment paper, or plastic wrap, and chill for at least 2 hours, or overnight.