Wow, oh wow. This Instant Pot Smothered Pork Chops recipe is as good as they come. I started playing around with this recipe a few weeks ago, and before we knew it, we had one of the most satisfying dishes we’ve had in quite a while. Well, we eat pretty well around here. But…this ranks up pretty high on the Loon Scale.
Be sure to get a nice boneless pork loin chop, good and thick. If you go anywhere from 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches, you’ll be in really good shape. Slice the onions nice and thin, and everything else comes together super easy.
I think the Madeira wine brings such a depth of flavor, but in a pinch, you could use a dry white wine, and still get great results.
The great thing about cooking these in the Instant Pot is they get perfectly cooked, and stay wonderfully tender, after only 1 minute of pressure cooking.
And just wait until you try the sauce! (The sauce is to die for over buttery mashed potatoes).
The Loon, as he has been known to proclaim from time to time, honestly said this is one of his most favorite dishes from the past few months.
Since I am constantly trying new recipes on him practically every single day, that’s really saying something. And this is an easy recipe to pull together, even on a busy week night. But, also, really impressive to serve to guests.
No one will be disappointed!
Have we shown you how much we love our Instant Pot? Well, watch, laugh…and see what we mean!
Now, go ahead and make this incredible Instant Pot Smothered Pork Chops recipe!
- 4 boneless pork loin chops, 1½ - 2 inches thick
- 1½ teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- 1½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup Madeira wine (could also use a dry white wine, but Madeira is best. We love the Rainwater variety)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chives, snipped, for garnish
- Season the chops all over with salt and pepper.
- Select SAUTE and adjust to MORE on the Instant Pot.
- Add the oil and heat until it shimmers.
- Add the chops and let them cook on one side until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Flip the chops and brown on the other side for another 4 minutes.
- Transfer the chops to a plate and loosely tent with foil.
- Add the onion to the Instant Pot, stirring frequently, until softened and lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and the thyme, and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are soft and have released liquid, about 4 minutes.
- Add the wine and deglaze by scraping the bottom of the pan to release any browned bits.
- Let the wine simmer until reduced by half, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, and flour.
- Add to the Instant Pot and stir to combine with the onions and mushrooms.
- Transfer the chops to the Instant Pot and spoon some of the onion mixture over them.
- Lock the lid into place and select MEAT/STEW or PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL, and adjust the pressure to LOW and the time to 1 minute.
- After cooking, naturally release the pressure for 3 minutes, then QUICK RELEASE any remaining pressure. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Transfer the chops to a serving platter.
- Add the sour cream to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Taste and add more salt and/or pepper, if necessary.
- Spoon the sauce over the chops and sprinkle the chopped chives on top.
- Serve at once and enjoy!