Popcorn with Garlic, Thyme and Black Pepper
Popcorn with Garlic, Thyme and Black Pepper is wonderful. Its really great for a party, especially at the holidays! Using a Whirlypop from Chefs makes this popcorn come out better than at the movie theaters! Start infusing the corn kernels for this dish a couple days for you pop the corn.
Author: Adapted from Carol Beckerman
Recipe type: Snack
Serves: 15 cups
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup of un-popped popcorn kernels
- 2 closes of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, stems removed
- Heat oil in a medium pan over medium heat for about 3 minutes
- Remove from heat, then transfer to a medium bowl
- Add the popcorn kernels, garlic, thyme sprigs, and 1 teaspoon of salt
- Cover and let stand at room temp for 24 to 48 hours
- Drain the kernels though a fine sieve, reserving the oil - discarding the garlic and thyme
- Take 3 tablespoons of the oil and add it with the kernels to a large pan with a lid (preferably a whirly pop)
- Heat over high heat, lid on, for about 4 minutes, shaking the pan, or turning the whirly pop handle, continuously.
- Pop the corn until the popping slow down to 2 or 3 pops every few seconds.
- Remove from heat and leave for 2 or 3 minutes until the popping stops.
- Transfer the popcorn to a large bowl, and add the remaining salt, black pepper, garlic powder, fresh thyme, and 5 tablespoons of the remaining oil.
- Stir carefully until well blended.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool