Fresh Spinach Pasta
Use fresh spinach pasta whenever you. It makes such a big difference in the final dish. And it's super easy!
Author: Kris Longwell
Recipe type: Pasta
- 9 ounce bag of fresh spinach
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¾ cup of semolina flour
- ¼ cup of all-purpose flour, plus more for handling pasta
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil
- Cook spinach for about 3 minutes, until fully wilted
- Drain spinach, when cool enough to handle, press out excess water
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and salt
- Add egg mixture to food processor and pulse a few times
- Add both flours to the bowl, and let machine run for about 30 seconds
- Remove cover and scrape down the sides with a spatula
- Run machine again for about another minute.
- A ball should start to form.
- Dust hands with flour, and remove the dough from the bowl.
- Dust the dough with plenty of flour, and form into a ball.
- Divide into 4ths, and cover each with plastic wrap, let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Take the first 4th of dough, and flatten with you hand into a round disc, dusting with flour if too wet to the touch
- Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough into a rectangle
- Fold the right side in, and then the left, and roll again to flatten
- Repeat this 5 or 6 time.
- Attach the pasta roller, and place on the widest setting
- Carefully lower the dough through the roller
- Continue to fold the edges in, like an envelope, for about 5 times, keep running through the roller
- The dough is now ready for turning into pasta...move the setting to next smallest, and place the dough through the roller
- Continue until the dough has gone to the 2nd to last thinnest setting.
- As the pasta is rolled out, you will probably need to cut in half, to handle more easily.
- Once ready, place on a baking sheet that has been sprinkled with corn meal (this keeps the pasta from sticking to each other)
- Repeat the process with each other quarter of the pasta.
- As one layer is filled on the baking sheet, place parchment or wax paper on the pasta, sprinkle with more corn meal, and continue
- Once the pasta has been rolled out, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the boiling water
- Drop the pasta into the boiling water
- Cook for 3 minutes
- Gently drain and then drop into an ice water bath
- Remove the pasta, one at a time, and place between paper towels
- Pasta is now ready to use in your favorite pasta recipe