This Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe will just make you smile. It sure does for the Loon and me! It’s comfort at its very best. This soup has been one of my very favorite soups since I was a kid. I have a hard time eating just one bowl. Both the Loon and I always come back for more. Its that good!
And this tastes creamy, but there is no cream at all. Just vegetables, stock…and of course, cheddar cheese!
This soup could not be more comforting if it tried to be. It’s very smooth, but so deep in flavor. The sharp cheddar is not overpowering, but compliments the vegetable purée perfectly. A few blanched broccoli florets are the perfect topping for this iconic soup.
Trust us, make a pot of this super-comfort food, and you will be a rock star in your own home. We just can’t get enough of this Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe! Give it a try, you will be so glad that you did!
Okay, let’s make Broccoli Cheddar Soup. And you’ll be surprised how easy it is, too! You are going to LOVE this soup!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 leek, white and pale green parts, sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 head broccoli (about 1 lb), stems peeled and chopped, tops cut into florets (save some florets for steaming or blanching for garnish)
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black peper
- In a large pot, preferably a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the butter and stir until melted.
- Add the leek, carrot, celery, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until they are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli.
- Sprinkle the broccoli mixture with the flour and mix well.
- Stir in the stock and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, with the lid on, but ajar, until the broccoli is very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove form the heat.
- In a couple batches, purée the soup in a blender with the lid ajar. (Alternatevily, use a hand-held blender directly in the pot).
- Add the soup back into the pot and simmer over medium-low heat.
- A handful at a time, add the Cheddar cheese to the soup, and let it melt.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve piping hot topped with a few blanched florets! And enjoy!