This Chinese classic is given a bit of a Thai kick…but the flavors of this dish will really make you happy. Serve with a nice bowl of Jasmine rice, and you’ll be looking to the far East with pure delight.
Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
This beef and broccoli is the perfect mixture of a Chinese classic, with a twist of Thai hints. Make with Jasmine rice!
Author: Kris Longwell
Recipe type: Asian
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 heaping teaspoon of brown sugar
- 1 lb of sirloin steak, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons of oil for stir frying (look for stir-fry oil in the Asian area of your supermarket)
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 tablespoons of chopped galangal* or ginger
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- FOR THE STIR-FRY SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce*
- ½ teaspoon of corn starch
- 3 tablespoons of Sherry
- 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce*
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of Thai chili sauce*
- 1 tablespoon of cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
- *Find in the Asian section of you supermarket, or at an Asian market
- Combine together in a cup the soy sauce and sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour this mixture over the strips of beef and mix well.
- Set aside to marinate as you prepare the rest of this fab dish.
- MAKE THE STIR-FRY SAUCE:
- Place the fish sauce in a small bowl.
- Add the cornstarch, stirring to dissolve.
- Now, add all the other stir-fry sauce ingredients. Mix well.
- Warm your wok over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil.
- When shimmering, add the shallots, galangal or ginger.
- Stir-fry for about a minute.
- Now, add the beef with the soy sauce marinade.
- Stir-fry for 5 minutes, or until beef is lightly cooked.
- Add the stir-fry sauce.
- Add the broccoli plus ¼ cup of water.
- Stir-fry until the broccoli is bright, and softened (about 3 minutes), the sauce will slightly thicken.
- Remove from heat. Taste. Adjust seasonings.
- Drizzle sesame oil over and serve immediately with Thai Jasmine rice.