I must say that this Authentic TexMex Beef Tacos recipe ranks as one of our all-time favorite dishes in the world. I grew up in Texas and simply could not get enough tacos! It became one of the first dishes I learned to make many years ago, and I’m pretty sure these will rival any platter of TexMex Tacos you’ll find at any good TexMex restaurant. That’s a bold statement, but make these tacos, and I’m pretty sure you’ll agree!
The Loon is certain (and I don’t disagree) that what sets these amazing tacos apart from your average everyday taco is the incredible meat filling, and the perfectly crispy taco shells. The shells make all the difference in giving you that authentic TexMex restaurant taste. Just get a nice sturdy pot (I use my Dutch oven), or use a deep fryer, a get your oil to a nice 350°F, then fry the corn tortillas for about 90 seconds. Using a Taco Press makes this super simple!
They are easy to order and super afforable!
Just look at those shells waiting to be filled and eaten!!
Is there anything much more enjoyable than sinking your teeth into a really delicious and completely authentic TexMex Taco? Well, if there is, I can’t think of it at the moment!
WE LOVE TEXMEX TACOS!!
You can make the meat and the shells a day in advance and then re-heat before serving. All the fixins can easily be made ahead of time, too!
Did we mention that WE LOVE TEXMEX TACOS?!
And of course, Authentic TexMex Tacos just beg for awesome Restaurant-Quality Salsa!
Now, let’s make this Authentic TexMex Tacos recipe!
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 lb of ground beef (I use 85/15)
- 2 tablespoons of good chili powder (order from Pendry's!)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of oregano (preferably Mexican)
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon of onion salt
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- ½ can of Ro-tel
- 1 cup of beef stock
- Corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (about a cup)
- Shredded iceburg lettuce (about a cup)
- 3 tomatoes, diced...seeds and ribs removed
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in skillet.
- Cook the onion and garlic until soft (about 8 minutes)
- Add the beef, cook, until no longer pink.
- Drain the fat through a sieve or colandar...return to the pan
- Add all seasonings plus flour...stir until well blended
- Add the Ro-tel and beef stock
- Cook until liquid cooks down, about 12 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt if desired.
- Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil to 350°F degrees
- Fry corn tortillas in deep fryer, or in a skillet (if using a skillet...place the tortilla in the hot oil for about 10 seconds...then, using tongs and a fork, grab one end of the tortialla and gently fold in half....continue cooking for about 20 seconds...then flip, and cook for another 20 or 30 seconds, and until golden and nice and crisp).
- Place cooked tortillas on paper towels and lightly salt
- Place meat mixture in tortilla shells, and serve with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and salsa