Brace yourself for this flavor explosion. This Authentic Cajun Dirty Rice recipe will transport you down to New Orleans with one bite.
Kickin’ good! This is easy to make and it’s the real deal. Just enough heat to make it really nice.
We love the simple ingredients that go into Dirty Rice.
You can never go wrong with green bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, onion, bay leaves and lots of good Cajun spices.
If you want to pull back on the heat, then just use half a jalapeno, or omit it completely.
The cayenne pepper adds some heat, too, so if you prefer, you can pull back on that as well.
Or, on the other end of the heat perspective, you can add more of the flavor enhancers to increase it’s kick!
Yes! Yes! Yes!
This dish is also beautiful in presentation!
And serve it with you favorite hot sauce, such as Crystals, Louisiana or Tabasco!
Doesn’t get much better than this bowl of amazing Cajun Dirty Rice!
And since we’re talking Cajun…here’s another another classic recipes: New Orleans Red Beans and Rice
Now, let’s make this Authentic Cajun Dirty Rice recipe!
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 lb pork sausage (Jimmy Dean works well)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- ¾ cup of finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno, cored, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup of chopped celery
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1½ teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon of dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon of dried thyme
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups cooked rice (cooked in chicken stock)
- ¼ cup of parsley, chopped
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage. Drain on paper towels, once cooked.
- Add olive oil to pan, and then add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, celery, garlic, and spices. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and bay leaves...scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen up any browned bits.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and sausage and stir thoroughly.. Cook until heated through, about 5 moreminutes.
- Remove form the heat and remove the bay leaves.
- Stir in the parsley.
- Transfer to serving dish.