Brace yourself…this recipe for Amazing Chicken Pot Pie is almost too good to mention. But I will. This is comfort food at its all-time best.
Just look at this perfect pie dough that will make the most amazing crust for your Amazing Chicken Pot Pie!
Everything comes together to make hands-down the best tasting chicken pot pie recipe you’ll ever know.
This is chicken pot pie is absolutely the best!
This is without doubt, an all-time favorite of both The Loon and me. Amazing Chicken Pot Pie!! %150 Loon Approved!
Watch Kris and Wesley show you how easy it is to make Amazing Chicken Pot Pie!
Now, let’s make this Amazing Chicken Pot Pie recipe!
- 4 whole chicken breasts, bone-in, skin-on
- ¼ cup of good olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 5 cups of homemade chicken stock, or homemade turkey stock
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 12 tablespoons of (1½ sticks) of unsalted butter
- 8 oz. (about 1 & ½ cups) chopped mushrooms (shiitake are nice)
- 2 cups of yellow onions, chopped
- ¾ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 2 cups of carrots, ¼" slices, - blanched in boiling water for a couple minutes
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- ½ cup of chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Perfect pie crust
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon of water (for egg wash)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F
- Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet and rub with oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 65 minutes (internal temp should be 165 F) - set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Remove meat from bones and discard the skin - cut the chicken into large bites.
- Heat the stock in a medium pan. Dissolve the bouillon cubes in the stock.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat and add the onions and mushrooms, cook until translucent - about 15 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook over low heat, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the hot stock to the sauce, simmer for another minute or somewhat until thickened.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt, ½ teaspoon of black pepper, and heavy cream.
- Add the cubed chicken, carrots, peas, and parsley. Mix well.
- Taste and add more salt, if needed.
- Pour filling into 4 oven-proof bowls.
- Brush egg wash around the top edges of the bowls.
- Cut the dough so it fits over the top of each bowl, with about a half inch lip around the sides. (if desired, cut additional decorative leaf-like shapes to add on top of the pot pies)
- Place cut dough on top of each bowl. Press the sides against the edges of the bowl.
- Brush the dough with egg wash, and then sprinkle with coarse salt (sea salt, or Kosher) and freshly ground black pepper.
- Make 3 or 4 slits in center of each dough topping.
- Place on baking sheets and bake for 45 minutes.
- Let rest for at least 15 minutes (filling is extremely hot!!)